Researching Nonprofit Organizations
Following are some questions to consider when researching a nonprofit organization. You will find detailed responses to these questions in the organizations Giving Common profile. These questions are listed below under the corresponding Giving Common profile section tab to facilitate your exploration of the site.
- What is the history of this organization?
- Where does this organization work and how is it having an impact on that community?
- What does this organization need to more effectively deliver on its mission?
- What programs and/or services is this organization providing?
- What kind of impact are these programs having? How is success measured?
- Is the staff of this organization reflective of the communities it serves?
- Are the necessary business practices in place for this organization to plan for the future and operate in a responsible and effective manner?
- Is this organization reaching beyond its own walls and working in partnership with others to deliver on its mission?
- How active and engaged is this organization’s board?
- Is the composition of the board reflective of the population that the organization serves?
- Are appropriate practices in place to support responsible and effective governance?
- Is the organization solvent?
- Does the organization rely on a single or small group of funders and donors or does it have diversified sources of revenue?
- Does the organization have a line of credit or an endowment?
- Please note: the Notes Section within the Financial Tab provides additional information that may not be immediately evident in the charts and graphs provided